Degrees and Certifications:
Ed.D. - Educational Leadership Graduate Program - Intercultural Communications M.Ed. - Secondary Education B.A. - History (w/ Secondary Education Certification) Secondary Administration Certification Secondary Social Studies Teacher Certification International Baccalaureate Psychology SL/HL Certification Advanced Placement Psychology Endorsement Certified South Carolina Evaluator International Habits of Mind Training Associate Certified Cognitive Coach FSD1 Mentor Teacher
Dr. LaNora M. J. Foster
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education." -- Martin L. King, Jr.
Educational Philosophy: Students consistently and actively participating in their personal development create self-efficacy through mindfulness, critical thinking, research, and effective reading and writing skills.
Educational Background: Dr. LaNora M. J. Foster, a native of Florence, SC and a 1993 double-cord honors graduate of South Florence High School, currently teaches Advanced Placement Psychology and Psychology (College Prep) courses. Dr. Foster is also a graduate of Francis Marion University (B.A. - History/Secondary Education), Cambridge College (M.Ed. - Secondary Education), and the University of Phoenix (Ed.D. - Educational Leadership). Dr. Foster has also completed 2 years of graduate coursework at Howard University. As a lifelong learner, she has attended a host of doctoral residencies, conventions, workshops, and trainings over her 21-year professional career including National Council for the Social Studies (Washington, DC & San Antonio, TX); South Carolina Council for the Social Studies (Myrtle Beach, SC); New Teacher Mentor Training (Upper Marlboro, MD); SC Mentor Certification Training (Florence, SC); SC Certified Evaluator Training (Florence, SC); College Board Seminar and Trainings for AP Psychology (Greenbelt, MD; Largo, MD; Upper Marlboro, MD; and Towson, MD); International Baccalaureate Psychology HL/SL Trainings – Years 1 & 2 (Montezuma, NM & Tampa, FL); Doctoral Residencies (Arlington, VA & Phoenix, AZ); Professional Presenter’s Training (Denver, CO); Habits of Mind Workshop (Florence, SC); Adaptive Schools Workshop (Florence, SC); Cognitive Coaching Certification Seminar (Florence, SC); NEA EdSummer Conference (Charleston, SC); NEA Women & Minority Leadership Conference (Atlanta, GA); NEA Leadership in Organizing (Baton Rouge, LA); and NEA Communications Organizing (Kansas City, MO).
- Teacher Mentor Workshop Facilitator (MD)
- Co-Presenter & Trainer of “16 Habits of Mind” (SC)
- Department Chairperson (SC & MD)
- Principal Advisory Committee Member (SC & MD)
- School Improvement Council Member (MD)
- MSEA School Building Representative (MD)
- NEA Delegate at National Convention (2012 & 2018)
- MSEA Delegate at State Convention (2012)
- PGCEA Minority Scholarship Committee Member (MD)
- The SCEA School Building Representative (SC)
- The SCEA – SCORE Committee
- The SCEA – Audit Committee
Field Trip Sponsor: Dr. Foster enjoys travelling and believes in fostering wonderment and awe in student learning by experiencing historical buildings and different geographical locations first hand. It has been a great joy for her to see students' eyes light up and then pose multiple questions as they visit the following locations: Atlanta, GA/Chattanooga, TN; Chicago, IL; New York City; Washington, DC; Supreme Court & Arlington National Cemetery; and Baltimore, MD.
Student Organization Sponsor: Some of Dr. Foster's current and past sponsorships of student organizations include: Club Psi (Psychology club); Tri-Hi-Y; Middle School Student Government Association; and the Junior Beta Club.
- Phi Alpha Theta – Charter Member
- Pi Eta Delta Professional Society
- National Education Association
- The South Carolina Education Association
- Florence 1 Education Association
- International Habits of Mind Trainer Collaboration
Accomplishments, Awards, & Recognitions:
- Principal’s Excellence in Teaching Award (MD)
- Keynote Speaker – PGCEA Minority Scholarship Ceremony (MD)
- Bridge Award (SC)
- Teacher of the Month (SC)
- Filmed in The SCEA's SCORE (Early Career Educator) Commercial (SC)