Woods Road CDC
Woods Rd CDC Info
Degrees and Certifications:
Woods Road CDC
1400 Woods Road
Florence, SC 29501
Director of School Readiness
Dr. Catherine Sanderson
MISSION STATEMENT: In a diverse and inclusive community, Woods Road Childhood Development Center prepares and inspires students to lead authentic, purposeful lives through play, movement, and social-emotional learning.
SCHOOL BELIEF: The staff at Woods Road Childhood Development Center believes that children learn best through a creative environment, education in social-emotional skills, opportunities to engage in play and movement, and participation in a diverse community.
- we see our students joyfully reaching their potential.
- we see our school thriving as an excellent, diverse, inclusive, and connected community.
- we see our staff partnering with parents and caregivers to provide quality care and meaningful learning experiences.
- we see our world made more hopeful because of the Woods Road Childhood Development Center community.
Purpose: To engage children in stimulating experiences beginning the pathway for future success and life-long learning.
3 and 4 year old preschool students
approximately 200 Average class size: 20
Programs and Incentives
- All teachers are state-certified.
- Child Development Center at Woods Road offers High Scope Curriculum and the Montessori Early Childhood Curriculum.
- General education 4K classrooms follow Handwriting without Tears and/or Orton-Gillingham.
- The Conscious Discipline model by Becky Bailey is followed which allows for an alternate approach to discipline.
- Exceptional education students are also served in the center and utilize the STAR (Strategies for Teaching through Autism Research) Curriculum.
- Special programs include developmentally delayed/Autism preschool, physical therapy, and inclusion-based occupational therapy and speech therapy.
- A 4K Transition Program helps prepare exceptional students who are not ready for kindergarten.
- The school features a Sensory Room in which children having difficulty adjusting to the school environment can build the skills they need to be successful.
- The playground is handicap accessible.
- The Parenting Education Program is affiliated with Parent Child Plus; it is made up of parenting educators who engage with students to improve their social-emotional skills. These educators work with students at school as well as virtually.
- Afterschool Extended Day Academy (EDA) is an option for parents and is available following school's dismissal at 2:15pm until either 4:30pm or 6:00pm. This provides academic enrichment for the students.
- A relationship exists with Francis Marion University and their interns majoring in counseling and psychology. These interns will visit Woods Road and work with students.
- At Woods Road there is an on-site teacher cadet program in the fall semester. High school students will "intern" in classrooms to gain valuable insight from the teachers as well as the students.
- Breakfast and lunch are both served as family-style dining in the classrooms.
- An open-door policy exists for parents and visitors.
- The school employs a full-time, registered and National Board certified nurse with extensive early childhood experience.
2021-2022 School Year
Amber Deas, parent
Debbie Hyler, community representative
Tracie Hobbs, RN Beck teacher
Cordelia Bailey Abram, community member/F1S teacher
Dr. Catherine Sanderson, Director of School Readiness