What is PYP?
- PYP is a part of an IB education. (part of the International Baccalaureate continuum)
- The Primary Years Programme (PYP) is designed for students aged 3 to 12. It focuses on the development of the whole child as an inquirer, both in the classroom and in the world outside.
- It is a framework guided by six transdisciplinary themes of global significance, explored using knowledge and skills derived from the six subject areas.
- PYP places a powerful emphasis on inquiry.
- The IB Primary Years Programme
- addresses students' academic, social and emotional well-being
- encourages students to develop independence and to take responsibility for their own learning
- supports students' efforts to gain understanding of the world and to function comfortably within it
- helps students establish personal values as a foundation upon which international-mindedness will develop and flourish
PYP at North Vista
- The 2018-19 school year marks North Vista's 1st official year as an IB candidacy school. To become an accredited IB school, schools must go through application year(s), then a minimum of a three year candidacy phase, followed by accreditation team visits.
- All teachers at North Vista have been through, or are in the process of category one training with IB, focusing on PYP. Many teachers and administrators have also attended category two and three training (the highest available).
- Spanish is a second language at North Vista. Students in grades 2-6 participate in Spanish classes with Ms. Salcedo.
- All students at North Vista focus on the IB learner profile, the PYP attitudes, and work as grade levels to study specific countries around the world.