Congratulations Class of 2020!
We are looking forward to commemorating and celebrating the success of our graduating seniors this week at the Florence Center.
The schedule for graduations is as follows:
Wilson High School - Wednesday May 27th at 10:00 am.
South Florence High School - Thursday, May 28th at 10:00 am.
West Florence High School - Friday, May 29th at 10:00 am.
Gates will open at 8:00 am. Limousines, buses, RVs, or similarly oversized vehicles will not be admitted. People are not permitted to arrive in the beds of trucks or move to a truck bed.
Remember, guests may not exit their vehicle at any time. A professional photographer has been contracted to take the picture of each graduate as he/she receives their diploma from their school principal.
Photos will be availaibe to commerate each graduates special day.
We are providing a number of ways for guests to participate in the graduation ceremony. For guests at the Florence Center, we will have Jumbotrons at the front on each side of the stage in as well as additional screens half-way back in the parking lot to help project a better view of the stage and graduates. For hearing impaired guests, the video will include closed caption accommodations. Also, guests will be able to tune into an FM station on their radio in their vehicle to hear the audio of the ceremony. That frequency will be announced at the ceremony. We will also be live streaming the ceremony on Youtube and Facebook Live for guests to view anywhere.
Guest Parking and Graduation Tickets
This year's graduation ceremony will take place in the Florence Center parking area. Due to limited parking capacity, each graduate will receive only one (1) ticket which allow for one vehicle to enter the spectator lot for graduation. All attendees for the graduate must fit into one vehicle. Upon arrival at gate 5, the driver will present the admission ticket for the vehicle. Upon arrival at the Florence Center, it is important that all attendees must remain in the vehicle except the graduate. The ticket will be distributed at Senior Checkout on May 21 st.
Graduates should arrive at 8:30 am. Graduates who ride with their families will park in the East Parking Lot (see the attached map). The graduate should exit the vehicles once the car has been safely parked and report to Door 7 to enter the ballroom to line up for graduation.
All eyes and cameras will be on you, the graduates.
- Male graduates will remove caps for the Pledge of Allegiance, National Anthem, and Alma Mater. After the Pledge, graduates will be instructed to be seated. Guests in the parking lot should remain in their vehicle for the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem.
- Graduates should remain dignified at all times. Please refrain from engaging in conversations with anyone during the ceremony. Please display Bruin Pride. There will be ample time after leaving the Florence Center to celebrate.
- Student cell phones, purses, and personal belongings should be left in cars or with family so as to not distract attention from the ceremony.
- Gum, candy, food, drinks are not allowed .
- Noise makers, beach balls, balloons, banners, and all other items that could be disruptive to the ceremony are not allowed.
Dressing for Graduation
All graduates must adhere to the following guidelines:
All Seniors will wear caps and gowns to graduation. Hairstyles must permit the cap to be worn appropriately.
- Caps must be worn so that they sit level, rather than on the back or to the side of the head. Caps should also be secured in place with bobby pins, if necessary. Each graduate is expected to bring bobby pins if the cap does not fit securely in place. Caps may not be decorated.
- Graduates may not pin anything or write anything on caps and gowns. Graduates may not wear jewelry that hangs on the outside of the robe. Only district -approved, school-issued, honor cords and stoles will be permitted.
- Female Attire:
Graduates wear white or pastel dresses, with hemlines shorter than the robe. Wear comfortable, white, acrylic, or bone-colored shoes. Secure the white collar to the robe using needle and thread or safety pins since the Velcro tabs provided with the gown usually do not work. Since graduation will take place outside on gravel, be sure the shoes you choose are comfortable to walk in and will not present an issue on the gravel. Females are encouraged not to wear heels.
- Male Attire:
Graduates wear dress pants, white or pastel dress shirts, ties, dress shoes and sock
Influencing Audience Behavior
Please instruct your guest that their cooperation in maintaining a dignified ceremony is expected. Because every graduate deserves to hear his/her graduate's name called, please urge your guests to refrain from whistling, yelling, screaming, honking their horns, or applauding for any one student or groups of students. Inappropriate behavior by students or guests will not be tolerated at the South Florence High School graduation ceremony. Disruptive students or guests may result in them being escorted to leave the Florence Center and not allowed to return. We ask that the audience hold applause, cheers, and shout-outs until the end of the ceremony.
Guests and parents may only videotape and photograph the ceremony from their vehicles.