What is the Montessori Approach?
The Montessori Method is based upon the child's natural desire to learn. This method stresses active, hands-on learning in a prepared classroom environment that contains attractive and carefully sequenced materials. For more than 100 years, children throughout the world have been educated with the method and materials developed by Dr. Maria Montessori. Montessori education emphasizes development in an environment which offers both freedom and structure. Freedom comes from choice and structure from the ordered environment."
What makes Montessori Unique?
· Based on scientific observation
· Used worldwide
· Has thrived for more than 100 years
· Used for educating infants through adolescents
· Emphasizes life skills and peaceful interpersonal relations
Montessori at a Glance
· Individualized instruction
· Hands-on learning
· Multi-aged classes
· Opportunities for the child to observe, discover and experiment
· Emphasis on respect for self, others and the environment
All quotes are from the brochure came from the South Carolina Montessori Alliance. (www.SCMontessori.org)
DISCLAIMER: If you choose to visit the South Carolina Montessori Alliance website you will be leaving the McLaurin Elementary school's website. I am not responsible for content beyond this page. I try to monitor the sites listed often on my website, but the Internet changes daily. If you find a site that no longer works or is inappropriate, please contact email@example.com.