Degrees and Certifications:
BA Communication & Studio Art / Graphic Design Teach for America Corps Member AmeriCorps Member
Ms. Suzy Banister
Thank you for visiting my page!
My name is Suzy Banister. I am an exceptional education teacher at West Florence High School, teaching Study Skills. In 2018 I moved to South Carolina from Maryland where I graduated from McDaniel College with an Honors Bachelor of Arts degree in Communication and Studio Art with a specialization in Graphic Design. Prior to teaching, I held occupations as a food & beverage services manager and K-12 tutor. I served my community as a college site manager with Best Buddies, community fundraising coordinator, and recreational field hockey coach. My teaching certification is with Teach for America, where I also serve as an AmeriCorps member. I coached track and field at West during the 2018 - 2019 season. I am currently an advisor for PEARLS, and the Exceptional Education STEM Club.
I am so excited to work with your student this year!
Office Hours 2019 - 2020
Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 7:45am - 8:30am
Thursday 3:30pm - 4:30pm
*Office Hours are open to all students for academic assistance.
1st Semester - 2nd Block 10:15am - 11:45am
2nd Semester - 4th Block 2:00pm - 3:30pm
• All digital assignments are posted on Google Classroom.
• All assignments and notes are available in paper format at the student's request.
• Students should bring their Chromebooks to class daily.
• The Study Skills classroom has flexible seating to allow students differentiated instruction. Students are allowed to select their seats. Should their seating arrangement negatively impact their learning or the learning of others, the student's seat will be moved.
• Students will complete a variety of classwork, quiz, test, and project assignments.
• Grades are typically updated daily.
• If a student is absent, a "zero" will be inputted until the assignment is completed.
• If a student receives a low score on an assignment, a comment typically accompanies the assignment in PowerSchool to provide clarity on the grade received.
• Please refer to the F1s Grading Scale/Policies for additional information. This can be found on the district website, or in your student's agenda.
1. Be mindful - of yourself and others
2. Be prepared - mentally and physically for class
3. Be engaged - in class content
4. Be safe - by following school policies
5. Be your best - for success
1. Formal Warning
2. One-on-one talk
3. Write a paragraph
4. Contact home
5. Note in ABE and/or Classroom Action